Tuesday, July 28, 2009

First Post

Welcome to my blog, which I hope I'll have the initiative to keep up with. Anyways, the first post will be taken up with an idea I had had after reading Neil Gaiman's American Gods. I have a good deal of this story sorted out as well as a few sequels. Well here is the first small bit of it, which probably has bad grammar and is in need of edits:

It all started, at least for me, when I finally returned home, to Pitman, New Jersey. It’s your average small town, slice of suburbia, where nothing really big happens, save for some strange piece of news every decade or so. But, the town fits me I guess, or fit how I was. I lived a rather average life…or, maybe the better word would be normal. Though my town is almost completely Christian, and I’m Jewish, or at least was raised as such, was never really a problem. Nothing strange ever happened. I’d get feelings sometimes, mostly at home, that I was being watched when no one was around, but I struck that up to an overactive imagination. Anyways, I seem to be rambling.


I had just returned from graduating college, which, despite all the gifts and celebrating sucks. I have no foreseeable plans on what I want to do with my life. I spent the rest of the day locked up in my bedroom online trying to escape from the world. Though I wouldn’t admit it then and for a long time after, I was hoping, dreaming of an adventurous life, the kind we all seem to have as children and lose in the dull gray bleakness of adulthood. Needless to say, I wonder if I knew then what I know now would I still have those thoughts? Would I be willing to go back to the way things were or the normalcy that my life was almost destined to be? It doesn’t matter anyway; I know that now. That night, when I had the dream, there was no turning back. The dream with the headless Indian.


Any opinions on what I have so far?

No comments:

Post a Comment